All the things we love about Singapore's East Coast - from food and shopping to apartments and beaches
Tired of defending yourself when you tell people you live in the East Coast only to be met with a rolling of their eyes and statements like ‘but it’s soooo far away!’ Here are 30 reasons why living in the East is honestly pretty awesome.
1. You never have to worry about getting to Changi Airport on time. 10 minutes and you’re there!
2. It’s peaceful and quieter. Us Easties have a rep of knowing how to hang loose.
3. Housing is cheaper compared to living in the Central area.
4. Even boutique staycations are easy – just book a room at Rabbit Carrot Gun.
5. Living in the East makes walking to the beach a reality instead of a dream.
6. Laksa in Katong. Take your pick from 328 Katong Laksa or Famous 49 Katong Laksa.
7. Fresh seafood. Chilli crabs from Jumbo or Red House, or black pepper crab and butter crayfish from Long Beach. There’s also Eng Seng at Joo Chiat (247 Joo Chiat Place), infamous for their dragon lady owner. They make a mean black pepper crab though.
8. Love history? Check out Changi Chapel & Museum, Singapore’s memorial to the WW2 Japanese POW camp.
9. Soak in some Peranakan culture at Katong and Joo Chiat where there are stores specializing in Peranakan food and crafts.
10. Not enough? Walk the Peranakan Trail. Make sure to make an appointment at The Intan.
11. Enjoy local coffee, traditional kaya toast, and cakes at old school coffee shop Chin Mee Chin Confectionery (204 E Coast Rd, Singapore 428903).
13. Traditional shophouses are still a mainstay of the Katong/Joo Chiat area.
14. Kim Choo nonya dumplings. ‘Nuff said.
15. Ice-skate at Katong.
16. Have fun at the Wild Wild Wet water theme park. No need to travel to Sentosa and battle with the tourists on a hot day.
17. Check out Koon Seng Rd for what is probably Singapore’s prettiest row of shophouses.
18. Love pets? Ericsson’s pet farm is your one-stop shop.
19. Driving to and from work without the sun shining in your eyes.
20. It’s home to the biggest convention centre in Singapore, the Expo. The Singapore Expo also holds plenty of warehouse sales on weekends.
22. Unobstructed view of fireworks on special occasions.
23. There are 6 golf courses just in the area.
24. Close proximity to Changi Point Boardwalk, which means beautiful views especially at sunset.
25. You get to enjoy gastronomical delights at Changi Village.
26. Need to do an Ikea run? Visit the larger outlet at Tampines, which also has a Giant Hypermart right opposite.
27. There’s a dog run with awesome amenities at Pasir Ris.
28. Playground @ East Coast offers dining options and fun for the entire family. It’s also incredibly pet-friendly.
29. Relax by doing some lobster/prawning at East Coast Parkway.
30. The East is under the Marine Parade GRC. Those who know their Singapore politics will know what we’re talking about.
Top image: Rabbit Carrot Gun