30 things we love about the West
We’ve brought you 30 things we love about the East, but we sure haven’t forgotten the Westies! From unexplored farmlands to a water park for just $1.20, the West is chock full of great bargains and good eats.
1. Here’s where Asia’s top unis are. Westies know how important it is to clock those hours on the sleep-o-meter.
2. Looking for a fun day with the kids? Jurong Bird Park is just a short drive away.
4. There are also at least 7 farms in Lim Chu Kang alone.
5. Singapore’s first 5,000-seater arts theatre at The Star Performing Arts Centre boasts impressive acoustics and ambience. Let’s face it – gigs here are much easier on the ears than at Kallang.
6. Shop without putting your bank accounts in the red – IMM has got factory outlets by big names like Esprit, Timberland, agnes b, adidas, and Body Shop.
7. Like beer? Get to know your booze better through a tour at Tiger Brewery.
8. Hidden cafes like Necessary Provisions at Eng Kong Terrace.
9. No need for air tickets to experience snow when we’ve got Snow City!
10. Late night carb and chili craving? Wishes are granted at Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak (01-06, 221 Boon Lay Place, 641221, Singapore)
11. Kayak or dragon boat at Jurong Lake.
12. Trek at Bukit Batok Nature Park.
13. Take a walk in Chinese Garden and visit the Live Turtle and Tortoise Museum. Cross the bridge and you’ll reach Japanese Garden.
15. Holland Village isn’t too far away – 20 minutes by car or just an hour by bicycle! This treasure trove boasts everything from great pizza at Da Paolo to cupcakes from Plain Vanilla and romantic desserts at 2am:dessertbar.
16. Round up your tots and four-legged friends for a fun and safe day at West Coast Park – fly kites in the massive field or head over to the dog park for a fun run! The independent ones can opt for go-kart rentals.
17. Retro- and hard-to-find bakes at Balmoral Bakery. Their traditional methods and recipes have lasted nearly 50 years! (Sunset Way, 105 Clementi Road Street 12, #01-06, Singapore 120105).
19. We get to end our days with the beautiful sunset in our eyes.
20. Johor Bahru is just a 30-minute drive away via Tuas Linkway. Great for a weekend escape or some Sunday seafood.
21. Dive in at the incredibly affordably Jurong East Swimming Complex – there’s a Wave Pool, Lazy River, and 3 Water Slides. Also plenty of parking available.
22. Good food and booze with great ambience – we couldn’t ask for more at Rail Mall (Upper Bukit Timah).
23. Take your pick from old-school barbers or new hair salons at your door. We love the good mix of old and new!
24. Ice skate at JCube – Singapore’s only Olympic-sized ice rink. Speed and contact sport junkies can stay on to watch ice hockey matches live.
25. Star gaze at Singapore Science Centre every Friday.
27. English booze and billiards. The Jockey Club is open daily, 10-6 am. (Westway, 27 West Coast Highway, #02-03, Singapore 117867).
28. At Kidz Amaze (SAFRA Jurong), little tykes have a three-story vertical maze in a 17,000 square-foot playspace. No more resistance to bed-time.
29. Perfect ambience with a perfect cuppa. Carpenter & Cook features a sleek vintage Elektra Barlume and rad vintage beauties for sale. They’ve also got unique jams – we’re going for their sea salt caramel spread. (19 Lorong Kilat, #01-06, Singapore 598120). Want more in the neighbourhood? Check this out.
30. Time travel. History’s easy to learn at Singapore Discovery Centre. Step into the arena for Crossfire Paintball when for some fun!
Top image: W39