We've found the best Hong Kong apps to make life a little bit easier for you. Get downloading now!
Living in the fast-paced digital world, we’re all glued to our phones, aren’t we? Be it levelling up in online games, busting out a sweat in virtual fitness classes, or getting healthy meals delivered right to our doors, there’s an app for just about everything. And let’s be honest: some of these apps are absolute game-changers, making our lives a whole lot easier (and more fun!). With this in mind, we’ve done some digging and whipped up a list of the best Hong Kong apps for you. Now, all you need is a sturdy WiFi connection, and you’re set to dive into the digital goodness. Enjoy!
Best Hong Kong apps for an easy breezy life in the 852
- Get food delivered, wherever you go: Try Foodpanda, Deliveroo, Keeta, and Black Sheep Restaurants GO.
- Stay on top of the best dining deals around town: Score big with every reservation on Eatigo, sift through food reviews on Openrice, grab those irresistible buffet deals on Kkday, and help save food waste while nabbing discounts with Chomp. It’s a win-win for your palate and your wallet!
- Enhance your wine knowledge: Tap into the world’s number one wine resource with Wine-Searcher, or dive into the app and marketplace that is Vivino. Both offer expert opinions and comprehensive guides to refine your palate.
- Public transit: Got to get from A to B in a part of the city you’re not familiar with? Plan your routes using Citymapper, or check the route with the least amount of traffic on HKeMobility. And let’s not forget our old friend, Google Maps, which is also a reliable option for getting around Hong Kong
- MTR: Find out when the first/last train departs at your station (and fares etc.) on MTR Mobile. For an extra edge, try out Pokeguide. This handy app directs you to the MTR exit closest to your destination, and even advises on which car to board for the quickest exit.
- Bus: Sometimes, a bus is quicker than the MTR. Know when the next bus arrives with Hong Kong apps like CitybusNWFB and App1933 (KMB/LWB).
- Cab: We’ve given all the Hong Kong taxi apps a whirl, and three have come out on top for their reliability: HKTaxi, Protaxi, and FlyTaxi. If you’re worried about language barriers, there’s also the HK Taxi Cards app at your service, boasting over 9,000 Hong Kong addresses translated into Cantonese. But, if you’re in the mood to sidestep the regular cab hustle and perhaps splurge a little, Uber is always just a tap away.
- Looking for travel deals?: Klook is your go-to app for all things transport in Hong Kong, and a trusted travel companion worldwide. This app offers unbeatable prices on Airport Express tickets, making your airport commutes a breeze. But that’s not all – Klook also hooks you up with affordable tickets to top-notch attractions, such as Ocean Park, Disneyland, and Aqualuna.
- For mindfulness exercises and daily meditation: Headspace offers a range of short and long meditations, all delivered through a fun, user-friendly interface. On the other hand, Calm caters to those already into meditation, offering free-form exercises, flexible meditation timers, and a dedicated music section. Despite a less organised interface, Calm’s unique features, including a robust section for kids, make it a valuable asset for mindful living in Hong Kong.
- Track your period: Learn more about your ovulation cycle with Clue and Flo.
- Track your sleeping pattern: Sleep Cycle shows you your sleep quality, and we’re all about that REM cycle.
- Plan your workout at a variety of studios: Explore different pilates, yoga, HIIT, dance and meditation studios in Hong Kong on Classpass.
- Plan your next hiking adventure: Discover the numerous scenic trails Hong Kong has to offer with TrailWatch. This app is your ultimate companion for enjoying the city’s natural beauty, allowing you to track your outdoor escapades.
- Track your nutrition and fitness: Keep tabs on your macros and ensure you’re meeting your nutrient and protein goals with MyFitnessPal. For a fitness bonus, Fitbit not only monitors your diet but also counts your steps, helping you stay active!
4. Arts & Culture
- Explore new music or curate your playlists: Try Spotify, YouTube Music, KKbox, and Joox Music.
- Discover what song is playing in a cafe: Use Shazam to search for the song title.
- Find out what’s showing in cinemas: HKMovie tells you what movies are showing, when, in which locations, and how many seats are available (this is one of our favourite Hong Kong apps!)
- Enhance your photos: VSCO is known for its stunning filters, Lightroom offers powerful photo adjustments, and Facetune specialises in portrait editing, including makeup application for a natural look. Additionally, Snow, the popular Korean app, adds a touch of cuteness to your selfies with adorable filters and impressive photoshop functions.
- Elevate your video content: As Reels gain popularity, Capcut and Inshot offer powerful editing tools right at your fingertips.
- Draw things on your phone or ipad: Autodesk Sketchbook and Procreate both offer a variety of brushes, layers, and other digital art tools, turning your device into a portable canvas.
- Know the weather: MyObservatory gives you a warning when it’s T8, so you don’t waste time getting ready for work.
- Sell your stuff or buy second-hand goodies: Carousell is a user-friendly platform for buying and selling items. You’ll find a mix of pre-loved items, from clothing to accessories to home decor. Pro tip: Keep an eye out on Carousell for free furniture! Many users urgently list items they want to get rid of due to sudden moves.
- Expand your social network: Meetup offers a thriving community where you can connect with individuals who share your interests, be it chess, crafting, or karaoke. For women seeking to establish new friendships, Hey! Vina operates like a dating app, focusing on matching women based on shared interests. It’s an ideal choice if you’re new to Hong Kong and looking to build your social life.
- Find fun things to do: Find out what events are happening around town on Eventbrite, Ticketflap, and Pelago. Or just check out Honeycombers’ events calendar, of course!
- For effortless movement of your belongings or yourself from point A to B, turn to GogoX. Operating 24/7, this Hong Kong app allows you to easily book a van for transporting furniture or larger items. It also offers courier services for instant delivery to friends or customers.
- Contribute to environmental conservation with the Water For Free app. It helps you locate the nearest water fountain, enabling you to refill your reusable water bottle while on the go.
[This article was originally published in January 2019 and updated in 2023 by Catherine Pun.]