Love donuts? Love Indomie? We combine the two favourite foods to make the ultimate guilty pleasure snack: Indomie donuts
We did a Szechuan beef Indomie and a vegetarian-friendly Thai stir fry, but now we’re dying to try out a viral recipe we’ve seen trending on the Internet: Indomie donuts. Hey, we’re always game to keep up with food trends because we’re cool like that.
The popular instant noodle is already a guilty pleasure in itself but this Friday, we’re elevating this guilt to plain ol’ dirty eating. First things first, this is a savoury donut. We’re not into drizzling maple syrup or other sugary nonsense on our all-time fave noodles…
There are many ways to go around Indomie donuts. We pretty much stuck to a simple recipe but you can add on to the ingredient list: chorizo, bacon bits, cheese cubes – go nuts! But first, let’s nail the basics!
- 2 packs of Indomie goreng
- 3 eggs
- 3 thinly sliced chilli padi
- ¼ cup fried shallots
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Suggestion: breadcrumbs to coat the donuts for an extra crunch – I used tempe chips for this recipe
- More suggestions: chopped bacon or chorizo sausage
- Prepare instant noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
- Add fried shallots and sliced chillies into the mix. Crack the eggs into the Indomie and whisk thoroughly.
- Set the mixture into three mini bundt cake pans. If you don’t have that, that’s fine! Just set them in three bowls and place something like a small bottle in the middle for the “hole”.
- Place the moulds in the freezer for an hour or add another 30 minutes for extra measure.
- Take the Indomie out of the moulds and coat it with breadcrumbs (I used crushed tempe chips!).
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and slowly fry the donuts. Cook on both sides until it’s golden brown.
- Let it cool before you bite into your donuts!
Love cooking! More recipes here:
Atas Indomie #1: Szechuan Chilli Beef
Atas Indomie #2: Vegetarian Thai Basil Stir-fry
Condiments and sauces you need to stock up now
Sambal field guide: make them in your kitchen