Recipes for Singaporean Dishes
So, you’ve scoured the island for good fish head curries and now you’ll like to try your hand at preparing your own version. Here’s our Southern Indian fish head curry recipe to get your started – you’re welcome!
Ingredients (feeds 2-3 pax)
Fish head 1/2 lb (make sure to wash off the blood thoroughly)
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1 red chili
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 inches of fresh ginger, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 inches of cinnamon
1 cup of coconut milk (preferably fresh)
- Heat a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick, and curry leaves to stir-fry and bring out the aroma of the spices.
- Pour the fried ingredients into a food processor, with a little water, to blend into a smooth paste.
- In a heated pan again, add oil, chopped onion, and sliced tomato and fry until the mix is golden brown.
- Add cumin powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder to stir-fry until the aroma, and then add in the ground paste you previously prepared.
- Bring the mixture to boil, and then add in the cleaned fish head and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook the fish head on medium heat until the flesh is cooked well.
- Add coconut milk and leave the dish to simmer for three minutes before serving.
Don’t forget to check out our picks for best of Singapore’s fish head curry!
Read more about Singapore’s local cuisine at www.YourSingapore.com.